On 29 October 2010, the Yorta Yorta Nation Aboriginal Corporation (YYNAC) entered into a Traditional Owner Land Management Agreement (TOLMA) with the state of Victoria for the joint management of Barmah National Park. The TOLMA enabled the establishment of the Board for Barmah National Park under the Conservation, Forests and Lands Act 1987 (Vic).
The TOLMA sets out the governance framework around the YYTOLMB and their initial role, land and principles for the YYTOLMB Board. Board members are appointed by determination and published in the Victoria Government Gazette annually. The Board is an eleven member Board, with six (6) members being Yorta Yorta people as nominated by Yorta Yorta Nation Aboriginal Corporation and five (5) general members, including a nominee of the Secretary of the Department of Land, Water & Planning (DELWP).
The Chairperson is nominated by Yorta Yorta Nation Aboriginal Corporation, and the Deputy Chairperson appointed from from among the members of the Board by the Minister. The Board is supported by a Secretariat Officer who sits within the Yorta Yorta Nation's Office.
The Board is a body corporate with perpetual succession and has an official seal. The Board may:
- sue and be sued,
- acquire, hold and dispose of personal property,
- acquire, hold and dispose of leases or sub-leases in real property, do and suffer all acts and things that a body corporate may, by law, do and suffer
NOTE: Under section 82D of the Act the Public Administration Act 2004 (Vic) applies to the Board as if the Board were a public entity (but not a small entity) within the meaning of the Act.
As a public entity the key legislation for the Board includes:
- Conservation, Forests and Lands Act 1987 (Vic)
- National Parks Act 1975 (Vic)
- Public Administration Act 2004 (Vic)
- Financial Management Act 1994 (Vic)
- Audit Act 1994 (Vic)
- Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic)
- The Information Privacy Act 2000 (Vic)
YYTOLMB Executive Officer is: Chana Orloff call YYNAC on 03 5832 0222
YYTOLMB Senior Planning Officer is: Liam Neame call YYNAC on 03 5832 0222